Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Repentance




Repentance is a word that is critical to the Christian life, and should be a recurring experience in our hearts. Our walk with Christ starts with repentance, in scripture Peter said, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit” (Acts 2:38).
 Repentance is turning away from your sinful nature, then begin to live by the Holy Spirit (Gal. 5:16-18). Repentance is not a one time deal, it is a daily relationship building opportunity with Christ. 

Repentance is Repeatable 

You may have to repent more than once, “Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying ‘I repent,’ you must forgive them” (Lu. 17:4), Christ is teaching this lesson from experience. I have repeatedly repented of a sin and then the next day I repeat the sin like I never repented of it; by God’s amazing grace I am forgiven every time.

Repentance is Refreshing

Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord (Acts 3:19). You will not just receive a time of refreshing from the Lord, but also a time of peace, like a weight lifted off your soul.

Repentance is Essential 

Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God (Heb 6:1). Repentance is something we have to learn from the beginning.

Repentance through Faith

I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus. (Acts. 20:21). Over the few years I have been a Christian when I have placed my faith in Jesus, he always has opened a door for repentance. When you take the opportunity to repent, he always gives you peace.

God you are the best, thank you for reteaching me these things that I have neglected to put into practice. Let us have the faith to turn away from our sin day by day.

Thanks for reading. Contact me Email, Follow on Twitter @JonSAdams. Your welcome to comment.

1 comment: